Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Interview with Sophie of Forest Graves

Sophie's taste and style are things I have admired for a while. We have a similar aesthetic I think, and we are both Lula girls at heart. Sophie and I have recently connected over my boutique and also my adoration of her style. An interview with the lovely Sophie follows below, and please check out her tumblr, Forest Graves.

Back when my hair looked mildly good. That is before I cut it on a whim whilst watching mad men, now it is uneven and awkward…
Sophie



Tell me a little bit about yourself, where you are from, and what you do...
I am originally from Sydney, Australia and now I reside a few hours from there, on the north coast. For the past couple of years I have been working in a second hand clothing store (which has only made me fall even more in love with vintage clothing than I already was). I am also a blogger and I take photos.

Tell me a little bit about the inspiration behind your blog and your photography...
My blog is inspired by the romance of yesteryear, lots of old films and silent films, dreamy vintage clothing and lingerie and beautiful ladies in vintage lingerie (and sometimes in nothing at all!)
And as for the inspiration behind my photography, well lots of different things inspire me but mostly my need to document things!

Who are your present day and vintage style icons?
I can definitely say that my love for vintage clothing came from watching old films growing up and wishing that I could dress like Brigitte Bardot.
Though I think my biggest style icons and inspirations are film characters. Particularly Violet (and pretty much everyone else) in Pretty Baby, Lolita in both the Kubrick and Lyne version of the film, Blanche DuBois from A Streetcar Named Desire, and though she isn't a character Little Edie Beale from Grey Gardens.

Describe your style in a sentence.
Feminine, very romantic but always a little influenced by the past...

What are your favorite fashion brands, designers, and fashion publications....
Well as much as I would like to say that I don't go in for mass produced fashion, I do love Topshop. I have a terrible Topshop addiction and tend to check the Topshop website on an almost daily basis!
My favorite designers are Alexandra Grecco, Charles Anastase, Erin Fetherston, Lonely Hearts, Sretsis, TBA, Vivetta and The Loved One for lingerie.
And my favorite fashion magazines are Lula, Frankie and Russh.

What beauty product can you never live without?
Lipstick! I am very fond of peach and orange lipstick especially.

What do you see yourself doing in the future?
Hopefully living in my own little home, perhaps somewhere in the country side with rambling gardens and a family; lots of children and lots of kittens. And hopefully I will be creating things and still blogging and taking pictures!

Do you think Australian girls have a good sense of style?
Gosh, I certainly hope so! We are fairly spoilt as far as fashion goes I think, there are so many talented Australian designers.

Describe your ideal day.
Perhaps I would spend a little time looking through thrift stores and vintage stores, and even more time wandering through art galleries. And then I would like to go and watch a film in a tiny little cinema someplace. Oh and if it is my ideal day I would eat nothing but lovely desserts for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

What are your favorite Audrey (Hepburn) and Grace (Kelly) films and looks they have worn?
My favorite Audrey Hepburn film would have to be Sabrina, it is so terribly romantic! And my favorite outfit of hers would be from the same film; the gown that she wears on the night that she comes back from Paris, with the full skirt embroidered with silk flowers.
And my favorite Grace Kelly film would have to be To Catch a Theif and although her outfits were stunning in that, I think her best outfit will always be her wedding gown.

Do you think any actress of fashion icon lives up to Audrey or Grace's legacy?
There certainly aren't any present day icons that live up to their legacies. But I would put Brigitte Bardot up there with them, what a lasting fashion and beauty icon she has been!

What could you see yourself buying from Audrey Grace Boutique?
I am terribly excited to see the pieces from Alexandra Grecco, and from LouLou Loves You especially the floral garlands. I am an avid collector of floral head pieces!


Uploaded a whole bunch of pictures to my flickr, but most of them are only viewable by my contacts…

All photos taken from www.forestgraves.tumblr.com
Thanks Sophie!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the lovely write up Jaclyn! I think the images you chose summed up my blog perfectly, I particularly love that image of the woman dancing around in a field!

    xx

    ReplyDelete