Thursday, December 8, 2011

Interview with Anabela from Fieldguided!

It's been a while since I did an interview post on the blog. Looking back through my emails, I have found the perfect interview. You probably already know about Anabela's beautiful line of tote bags and accessories (which she designs with her boyfriend, Geoff), and her blog: Fieldguided. I always enjoy looking at Anabela's blog for inspiration. Not only is she a designer, she also takes amazing photographs. It is clear she is an Audrey Grace girl-  she's a fan of Lulu Frost, Lula and all things vintage. Audrey Grace is stocking her tote bags as well. I think her tote bags would be a perfect Christmas gift. She also makes adorable cat calendars, which are featured in the photos at the end of this post. I interviewed the lovely Anabela a while ago and I am finally getting around to posting her interview here on the blog! Hope you enjoy!

P.S. Audrey Grace opens in nine days!!! I just went by the Lulu Frost studio here in New York to pick up my order. They were having a holiday sale and everything was so beautiful! So excited to be stocking so many amazing designers.


Hi Anabela! How has your day been and what did you do today?
Hello! My day has been pretty nice. The weather was moody and I liked walking to the bus in the wind before the rain. I got a sample of perfume that I love in the mail, and my boyfriend made me a delicious lunch, so lots of good things happened.

Tell me a little bit about yourself, and your line Fiedguided
I live in Toronto with my boyfriend and our two cats. I work in a university library during the day. Geoff & I started Fieldguided sort of haphazardly, mostly selling things that I had also made for friends. They would sometimes say things like "You should sell this," so I tried it for myself. We haven't developed the line as fully as I would like, but we do things slowly.

What type of girl do you see carrying your totes?
I'm pretty lucky in that I see a lot of girls around town carrying my bags, and let me tell you, they are always the coolest girls, just really well put together, with a laid-back and fresh sense of style! And I just know they have an incredible book in their tote. 

Have you always been interested in fashion and art?
Yes, although I think that my interests have changed and become more focused as I've gotten older. 

What books, magazines, films etc. do you find inspirational?
I love so many books that it's hard to say, but right now I'm really loving short stories by Mavis Gallant. My favourite magazines are The Gentlewoman, Lula, Russh, and Acne Paper for fashion and design, and Frankie for the jokes and cool vibes. I love to flip through them with a clear mind and let ideas come to me (it happens sometimes, but not always, but it's always enjoyable!). My favourite movies are any of the Six Moral Tales by Eric Rohmer. He created the most beautiful worlds in those movies.

Tell me about your cats, they are so cute!
Thanks! They're both girls. Oreo is a tuxedo cat and Pony is a calico. Oreo came from a shelter and Pony came from a litter of feral cats we found in our yard. Oreo is very laid back and fairly inactive, but Pony is a little rocket, so feisty and never still.

What is your favorite fairy tale?
The Little Mermaid, but the scary/creepy original version. I saw a cartoon that was more faithful to the original story when I was in kindergarden and it scared me and made me become obsessed with mermaids.

What are your favorite places in Toronto?
I love visiting the Toronto Islands in summer. You can have a picnic on the beach and while it's kind of a dirty beach, it's such a nice escape. I also love a lot of the coffee shops and restaurants in my neighbourhood. I don't have to travel too far to find a nice place to hang out.

What are your must have beauty products?
I don't really commit to things and always change it up but I always have to have some kind of moisturizer for my face and neck. I love washing my face with charcoal soap, and these days I'm really into using brow pencil with a heavy hand!

Your photography is so beautiful and inspirational. Tell me about your photo process
.
Thank you! To be honest I feel as though I don't really know what I'm doing, but I think it helps to have a camera with me all the time and allow inspiration to hit me wherever I am.

What was your favorite SS12 fashion show?
You featured Ginny Branch on your blog, because she sent me a link to the Jill Stuart show and said it reminded her of me. I was so flattered by that, and she was so right -- I loved it.

Do you admire vintage style icons, such as Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly?
Oh yes, of course.

What could you see yourself buying from my boutique, Audrey Grace? 
I love love love work by Alexandra Grecco, The Loved One, and Up the Wooden Hills, so I think it would be hard to choose!

Who is your style icon?
Phoebe Philo, with a dash of the Lula girl.

Who would be your ultimate celebrity to photograph or see carrying one of your totes?
Hmm, well, they're not celebrities per se but maybe The Lisbon Sisters from The Virgin Suicides, if they hadn't killed themselves and were around in their 20s and 30s. 

Describe your personal style. 
I love clothing that is soft, delicate, and pale in colour. I'm happiest in a cream silk blouse, pleated dusty pink maxi skirt, and tan leather oxfords. Just really feminine and pretty.

What is the future like for you and Fieldguided? Any exciting projects or collaborations?

I hope the future will be bright but we're at a sort of transition period a the moment! There are a lot of things I want us to be able to do, but only time will tell if they will happen... I like the potential, though.

Thank you, Anabela! All images courtesey, Fieldguided


1 comment:

  1. I love Fieldguided! Her photos and creations are stunning.

    ReplyDelete