Friday, December 16, 2011

Interview with Alexandra Grecco

One of the first discoveries I made for the shop was the beautiful designs of Alexandra Grecco. I remember meeting Alexandra in the West Village at Tea and Sympathy, and our first meeting just warmed my heart. I knew our work together would be incredibly special. I am stocking many of Alexandra's designs from her main collections, and she has also done some very special custom pieces for the shop. Everything Alex created for me was really inspired by the style of Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly. Plus, we did some fun quirky pieces like a dress with hand-painted cats! Anyway, Alexandra is a beautiful in person (both inside and out) as her designs. She's has had a big week, she's currently hosting a trunk show at Bloomingdales in Soho of her holiday collection, so if your in New York, stop by! I predict an amazing future for this girl. Check out her inspiring blog here: Alexandra Grecco. Tomorrow is the opening night of the shop and after a long day of work I think the shop is nearly ready to open! I wish Alexandra (and all the other designers, artists, photographers, etc.) who made this shop amazing could attend- but know you are in my thoughts and I am eternally thankful. Please enjoy the interview with Alexandra below.
Bloggers Louise (Miss Pandora) and Alix (The Cherry Blossom Girl) wearing Alexandra Grecco SS10
Northern Alps Halo and Scalloped Blouse
Alex on holiday in Montana
A look from SS12
Hello Alex, tell me a little bit about yourself, what you do, and your line.
I currently live in a lovely neighborhood in Brooklyn where I work on my womenswear line, Alexandra Grecco which I started about 2 years ago.  I created my company with the intention of making quality garments with detail reminiscent of Old Hollywood and the deco period. I'm so happy being a part of a field where I get to meet and collaborate with so many talented people.
What can my customers expect to see from your line that will be available in Audrey Grace? (Tell me about the custom pieces, collections, etc.)  
Jaclyn picked some of my favorite pieces for the shop!  Some are from my upcoming SS12 collection, and others are best-sellers from previous collections. We also did quite a few custom designs exclusive to the boutique, including some hand-painted frocks, embroidered stockings, floral crowns and jewelry!  So much fun!
How would you define the type of girl that wears your clothes? 
I've discovered that there are many different types of gals from many parts of the world who wear my clothes, so I don't know if it's possible to come up with a definition. I have to say that all the customers I've ever met or conversed with online has just been so lovely!
What is your favorite decade for fashion?  
I'm always torn between the 20's and 60's, so I'm going to name two!  
What are your favorite places in NYC (and Brooklyn)? 
I love my neighborhood in Brooklyn and the surrounding neighborhoods as well.  I enjoy secret escapades to Dough in Bed Stuy very much!  Prime Meats in Carroll Gardens or Vinegar Hill House are two places I would dine every night if I could afford it.  I'm always reminded of how magnificent the city is when I just wander the streets and people-watch on a lovely day. 
How does it feel to see style icons like Sarah Sophie Flicker wearing your designs?
Pretty wonderful!  I've been a long-time admirer of hers and she's been so lovely and supportive. 
Who would be the ultimate celebrity you would love to see wearing your designs? 
I recently gave a few pieces to Michelle Williams, including the "If I Only Had a Heart Dress" which she was particularly fond of.  She's such a tremendous talent and down to earth, so, I'd say her!
What are your favorite magazines for fashion? 
Lula and Frankie!
Who is your vintage (and modern) style icon? 
I admire anyone who is visibly comfortable with what they are wearing and how they carry themselves...I don't mean sweatpants,  just incase that was ambiguous.
Who are your favorite designers?
Miuccia Prada, Lyell, Rodarte.
and photographers?  
Gosh, I have quite a few, but to name a couple: Wendy Bevan, Alex Prager, Dan Estabrook, Ellen Von Unwerth.
What is on your Christmas list? 
A new pair of boots!  I'm notorious for wearing the same pair everyday until the soles wear thin.  Running around the garment district ruins shoes!
What can you see yourself buying from Audrey Grace? 
Most everything, especially the mural by Katy Smail!
Describe an ideal day for you. 
A day with no plans.
Are you designing a holiday collection- or working on AW12?  
Finished with holiday, onto AW12!  I'll be releasing a vintage-inspired bridal line in 2012, so I'm working on samples for that too.
What does the future hold for you and your line? 
Whatever it is, I'm excited to see it all unfold.  


Sarah Sophie Flicker wearing the Violetta headband
Alex with some of her beautiful dresses
Paper doll design- Natasha Thompson (http://thesecret-teaparty.blogspot.com/) for Audrey Grace Boutique
All other photos courtesy, Alexandra Grecco 

1 comment:

  1. I SO badly wish I lived in Jackson so I could visit your lovely store. Her dresses are so beautiful, I love the dreamy pastel tones.
    ♥ Maria
    www.avenuemaria.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete