Friday, May 27, 2011

Introducing Katie-Louise Ford!

This is an interview with the lovely Katie-Louise Ford, who is making several beautiful custom dresses for the shop!

1. Where do you live?
I currently live in Melbourne, Australia. I grew up in a little seaside town on the Far North Coast.
2. Can you tell me a little about your design process and where do you draw your inspiration from?
Whenever an idea pops into my head I sketch it down right away. I draw inspiration from everyday life, nature, old films and photographs, children's books and illustrations. 



3. How long have you been designing?
I started selling a range of dresses and blouses at the beginning of 2010, however i've been designing for as long as I can remember!



4. Have you always been interested in fashion?
Since I was a little girl. I started out hand sewing dolls clothing which progressed into making my own clothes from a young age, after high school I went on to study Fashion Design and am currently studying Costume Design which has sparked my love for millinery, tailoring, period costume and corsetry.

5. What type of girl do you see wearing your dresses? What is her aesthetic?
A girl who dreams of seamed stockings, Peter Pan collars, carnivals, letter writing and cake baking. She has a love for all things old and beautiful!

6. Who would be the ultimate celebrity (or even a style icon from the past) that you would love to dress?
Anna Karina or Louise Brooks.


7. Since the boutique is called Audrey Grace what are your favorite Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly films or even specific outfits they have worn?
My favourite Audrey Hepburn film is Breakfast at Tiffany's, the black Givenchy dress left me in a swoon for months. Roman Holiday comes in a close second, I would love to replicate the rolled sleeved blouse, full skirt and necktie look! 
Rear Window is my favourite Grace Kelly film (admittedly I have a thing for Jimmy Stewart). As for her favourite outfit, who could go past that incredible wedding dress.


8. Can you tell me a little bit about the Grace Kelly and Audrey Hepburn dresses you are creating for the boutique. (sneak peek at a sketch, below!) 




A range of dresses inspired by the beauties themselves! Features will include Red plaid, White lace, Peter Pan collars, Pearl buttons, Blue sashes, puff sleeves and handsome bows.
9. Who are your favorite artists?
Emily Martin (The Black Apple), Oliver Townsend Abbott, Angelique Houtkamp and the very darling Caitlin Shearer. I am also in love with the classics: The Pre-Raphelite Brotherhood,George Romney, Edgar Degas and Frida Kahlo.


All Mine
Art by Caitlin Shearer, www.caitlinquiet.blogspot.com
10. Who are your favorite designers?
Alexandra Grecco, Death by Drone, Nadinoo, Dette Ede to name a few.
Nadinoo
11. What (music) are you listening to now?
I mainly listen to the good old fashioned radio, also a lot of Glenn Miller, Bob Dylan, Sonic Youth, Belle and Sebastian and Le Tigre.
12. Any favorite places to shop in Melbourne?
All of my clothing is either thrifted, handmade or hand me downs from my Great Aunty and Grandma, I love that my clothing has a history and a story to tell.
13. What can we expect in the future from you?
A range of beautiful vintage style dresses made with hand painted silks. My mother is an incredibly talented silk artist so we are planning future collaborations. Each dress will be a one of a kind wearable piece of art.
14. Who is your style icon?
Audrey Horne from Twin Peaks. Those saddle shoes, tartan skirts and tight sweaters are a dream!

Audrey Horne

P.S. EmmaKisstina did a lovely post on me here: 

You can also take a sneak peek of the work she's doing for the shop on her blog: 

EmmaKisstina's To Catch A Thief for the shop

 I don't want to give too much away! Also had a lovely interview Fi Mackay of Eleanor's Riot did with me here: 



And be sure to check out more of Katie and her designs here:

http://katielouiseford.com/

Talk soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment